Here are ways to honor the graduates in your NCF chapter:
>> Print the Nurses Oath on quality card stock using your school colors. Have the NCF group members and the faculty advisor sign their names in the margins and present it as a graduation gift.
>> Pray a "Prayer of Blessing" over the graduating seniors. Thank God for his provision for them while they were in school. Ask God to use their hands as they care for the hurting. Commission them and send them out to be excellent nurses and witnesses for Christ. You may ask them to hold up their hands while you pray for a "Blessing of the Hands" as they prepare for service to God and to their patients.
>> Write a note of appreciation for each senior.
>> If you have pictures from previous years, put together a photo slide show or PowerPoint.
>> Allow seniors to give affirmation to one another by reflecting on how God has used other seniors to encourage or inspire them personally.
>> Order graduation honor cords in the NCF colors of blue and yellow (gold). The Honors Program is a site that several NCF chapters have used. Here are some images that may be helpful as well.
>> The Nurses Bible is a practical gift that can be used for a lifetime.
>> Books, Bible study guides, NCF post-it notes, pens or shirts are a few of the things that can be found at the NCF online store.
Reflection Questions for Seniors
Allow seniors to reflect on their years in nursing school and share with the group what they have experienced and how God has transformed them.
- How are you different now than you were when you started nursing school? Where do you see God in your growth?
- What do you think is the next step in your nursing journey? In your spiritual journey?
- What have you learned about giving spiritual care?
- What would be helpful for you as you transition to nursing practice?
- What words of wisdom would you like to pass on to the remaining students? What do you wish someone would have told you about growing in faith when you were a freshmen, sophomore, or junior?