As we begin a new year, I am grateful for the many people who contribute their time, talents, prayers, and finances to partner with what God is doing in nursing through NCF. Whether you’re a practicing nurse, student, educator, or retiree, you make a difference as you serve Jesus in nursing. Thank you!
One of my greatest joys as national director of Nurses Christian Fellowship is to reflect on how God is working through NCF ministry. Rejoice with us in how God’s love, grace and truth is spreading to others in nursing! Here's an update of what God did in fall 2017.
Growth of Student Groups
We witnessed 10 new or reactivated student chapters. Even more exciting, 48 students made decisions to follow Jesus! One student is Clarissa who grew up with little religious background. In nursing school, her friends invited her to their weekly NCF Bible study. As she attended, Clarissa became more and more intrigued. At their chapter's fall retreat, she said ‘yes’ to Jesus! Now, Clarissa is being actively discipled by her NCF chapter.
New NCF community fellowships started in South Carolina and Pennsylvania; a group has started in California. In local meetings, nurses study scripture, pray, and seek Jesus for their nursing practice. We receive queries every week from nurses around the country wanting to know where they can attend NCF.
Journal of Christian Nursing
JCN published 22 feature articles addressing tough concerns that nurses face—ethical practice, reaching the underserved, human trafficking—all from a biblical perspective. JCN publishes 45 full-length articles and 56 focused columns every year.
NCF Staff are working hard on a new membership web platform that will greatly enhance how we serve members of our NCF professional organization. We added monthly national Member Video Chats and a quarterly Journal Club with free continuing education benefits. If you’re not a member, I invite you to join NCF and support a Christian voice in nursing.
Plans for NCF summer conferences are moving forward. Nurses, students and educators are invited to two unique opportunities: Infusing Hope in Nursing: A Christian Perspective (July 19-22, 2018) and Innovations in Faith-Based Nursing (June 18-21, 2018). For more information, go to NCF Events.
Pray for God’s Work in 2018
We depend on the prayers of God’s people as we invite others to follow Jesus in nursing.
- Pray that Jesus will use NCF campus chapters to reach more nursing students with the Good News.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to bless nurse fellowships and their leaders as they seek to follow Christ. Pray for more nurses to begin local NCF groups.
- Pray God uses JCN to encourage and teach students, nurses, and educators. Ask the Holy Spirit to get JCN content into the hands of non-Christian nurses.
- Pray that more nurses and students will become members of NCF and will take advantage of the benefits of joining a Christian nursing organization.
- Pray that God will bring many students and nurses to our summer conferences so they can be renewed and united with others who are serving God in nursing.
As I look back on what God has done, is doing, and will do through NCF, I am reminded of the apostle Paul’s words:
For from him and through him and to him are all things.
To him be glory forever. Amen. (Romans 11:36)
—Kathy Schoonover-Shoffner, PhD, RN is the NCF National Director and Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Christian Nursing.