The new year offers a time for reflection and reaffirming our purpose. God used NCF in 2016 to bring nurses and nursing students closer to him, just as he has been doing since the 1940s. Here are some ministry highlights from 2016 and expectations for 2017.
In the 2016 Fall semester, Tim Lin began as our Student Ministries Director, providing excellent leadership and a vision for how to grow our NCF student groups in quantity and quality. Over 100 student groups met on campuses to study God’s Word; 4 new groups started and several groups reactivated. We joyfully report that 14 students placed their faith in Jesus Christ for the first time!
There are 24 NCF Nurse groups that meet regularly around the nation, and we received one or two queries a week from nurses wanting to start nurse fellowship groups in their community. Our global partnerships also are significant. NCF-USA has been meeting with the NCF International Caribbean and North America Region (NCFI CANA) to plan a regional conference in July 2018.
As we resolve to continue God’s work in 2017, here are my resolutions for NCF this year. Please pray:
- For God to bring many more nursing students to faith in Jesus this semester. I am praying for double the number who came to Jesus in Fall 2016.
- For the Holy Spirit to increase the number of student groups and empower faculty advisors, student leaders, and InterVarsity Campus Ministers who make NCF groups happen.
- That more nurse fellowship groups will begin as the Holy Spirit leads and He will provide everything needed for nurses to meet around God’s Word.
- That God will increase the number of new NCF members and that current members will renew their annual membership in the NCF professional organization.
- For God to provide financially, bless NCF donors, and meet the budget needs of this ministry.
Thank you for praying that the Holy Spirit will lead NCF, every day and in every detail, as we work to grow student ministry on campus and professional ministry to our members and to nursing.
Kathy Schoonover-Shoffner, PhD, RN NCF National Director Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Christian Nursing