Last year in the midst of a blustery winter, I walked out of a store and found a note on my windshield that I had a flat tire. I was running errands and could have thought, "Really? It's 30 degrees out here!"
However, I actually smiled when I thought of how God had already prepared the way ahead of me. Here is my list of reasons to be thankful:
- God always knows what is best for me, so He was delaying me for some reason, maybe to prevent me from being at the wrong place at the wrong time. “My times are in your hands, God” (Psalm 31:15a).
- God graciously provided this “tire angel” to warn me. Sometimes I get so focused on what I am currently doing that I can miss what is blatantly obvious in front of me. Without that note, there is no telling how far I would have driven on that damaged tire. “Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you, God” (Psalm 5:11).
- God had just kept me safe and the tire didn't blow out while I was driving 45 miles, even on the freeway, “The God who…saves me from my enemies” (Psalm 18:47a, 48a).
- I have a membership with a road assistance service. Very simply, my husband told me I needed this a year ago since we live in rural America and I travel two hours to work (one-way). So, God not only provided through this company and my husband's decision, but also because I decided to take my husband’s advice and sign up for it. “…and the wife must respect her husband” (Ephesians 5:33).
- While I was waiting, I walked into a children's resale shop and found it was a non-profit ministry to reach out to the young mothers and babies of the community. In fact, it was exactly the type of vision I've had for our community where there is no pediatrician or OB for the entire county. “You, God, go before me and follow me. You, God, place your hand of blessing on my head” (Psalm 139:5).
- Those thirty minutes gave me much needed information, written resources, and contact information for those who founded this ministry 11 years ago. I’m not sure how God will utilize that information in my future, but I’m sure He is preparing me in some way. “For I know the plans I have for you’, says the Lord, ‘plans for good and not for evil to give you a future and a hope” (Jeremiah 29:11).
- After the flat was fixed and the spare was put on, I was less than a mile from the chain store tire center where I had already paid for road-hazard when I bought the tires: “Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow” (Psalm 25:4-5).
- They had time to take care of my car right then. “For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven” (Ecclesiastes 3:1).
- I arrived home safely, singing praise songs all the way and thanking Father God for his precious care for me. “Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you” (1 Peter 5:7).
Today may you also see how much God cares about you, even in the little things, and trust His provision in whatever form it may take. “Now my God shall supply all things through His riches in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19).
- by Cindy Carter, NCF member and guest contributor